[Sisuite-devel] si_pushupdate --ssh-user
Bernard Li
2008-01-30 23:11:34 UTC

This issue seems to be brought on by argument shift -- i.e. --ssh-user
apparently is a required argument and when not provided causes failure
in the command.

To rectify the problem, I suggest that we:

1) Make the current username argument for --ssh-user
2) Modify the manpage/--help/code to reflect that --ssh-user is required

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Bernard
Roberto C. Sánchez
2008-01-30 23:25:52 UTC
Post by Bernard Li
This issue seems to be brought on by argument shift -- i.e. --ssh-user
apparently is a required argument and when not provided causes failure
in the command.
1) Make the current username argument for --ssh-user
2) Modify the manpage/--help/code to reflect that --ssh-user is required
Thoughts?
I think that a sensible default is to assume the name of the current
user is the name to use to ssh to the remote system if none is given.

Additionally, I recommend an option to allow the user to specify the
command to invoke on the remote side. That is, I ran into a situation
on a deployment of RedHat workstations where I cannot use my own user
account since I do not have /usr/sbin in my PATH. RedHat's sudo is not
compiled to clean up the environment properly, and so when ssh'ing as
myself into another machine, I get a 'si_update: command not found' (or
something like that). An option like --remote-cmd or something like
that is what I am thinking.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
Bernard Li
Sounds good -- please feel free to file this at trac.systemimager.org
(patch is always welcome too!)

Cheers,

Bernard
Roberto C. Sánchez
Sounds good -- please feel free to file this at trac.systemimager.org
(patch is always welcome too!)
OK. I did not know if it had been propsed or not already. The RedHat
deployment I was working on is setup with SystemImager 3.8.1. If have
time, I will work on a patch.

Regards,

-Roberto
http://www.connexer.com
Andrea Righi
Sounds good -- please feel free to file this at trac.systemimager.org
(patch is always welcome too!)
OK. I did not know if it had been propsed or not already. The RedHat
deployment I was working on is setup with SystemImager 3.8.1. If have
time, I will work on a patch.
Regards,
-Roberto
See http://trac.systemimager.org/changeset/4374.

-Andrea

Andrea Righi
2008-01-31 09:39:40 UTC
Post by Bernard Li
This issue seems to be brought on by argument shift -- i.e. --ssh-user
apparently is a required argument and when not provided causes failure
in the command.
1) Make the current username argument for --ssh-user
2) Modify the manpage/--help/code to reflect that --ssh-user is required
Thoughts?
Hi Bernard,

si_pushupdate is deprecated. I think we should put a big warning both in
the manpage and in the command's help. Or at least we should rewrite it
to support the new SystemImager features about host ranges and host
groups.

Actually, the equivalent operations can be done using the command:

si_psh --ssh-user USER -n <HOSTLIST|HOSTGROUPS> si_updateclient --server SERVER --image IMAGE

(maybe we could even rewrite si_updateclient replacing the code with
this command)

OTOH for server-driven SSH install we must use si_pushinstall (instead
of si_pushupdate) as documented here:

http://wiki.systemimager.org/index.php/SSH#Wait_that_the_clients_become_ready_to_accept_SSH_connection

IMHO replacing si_pushupdate with the si_psh and si_updateclient command
is the best solution (ah, obviously we need to fix also the manpage
then).

-Andrea