[Sisuite-devel] SIS image on Fedora 7 / 8
DongInn Kim
2007-12-26 18:00:08 UTC

Have you guys tried to deploy an sis image to Fedor 7/8 with IDE drives?

I have tried to use systemimager-4.0.2 and pretty lastes systemconfigurator and systeminstaller to setup OSCAR branch-5-1 on Fedora 7 (and Fedora 8).

As you may know, "Fedora 7 uses the new PATA/IDE subsystem, which (like the SATA subsystem) goes through the SCSI layer. All disk devices are now /dev/sdX." So, my computer with IDE drives should use /dev/sd* and update grub.conf accordingly even though its actual HDD is IDE. My system image was generated with the scsi disk example since Fedora would not recognize /dev/hd* at all.

I believed that my system image should work on the client node because it was generated with the SCSI disk but systemconfigurator somehow recognizes the actual drive and it did generate /etc/fstab and grub.conf with all /dev/hd*
but not /dev/sd* when the sis image was deployed.
(FYI, I double checked to see how /etc/fstab and grub.conf of the client nodes were setup and they all were set up with /dev/hd*.)

This is a pretty good behavior on all the other linux distros which use the actual HDD device type since a user may make a mistake when he/she builds the system image with a wrong disk type.
But this is not really good for Fedora 7 / 8. :-(

If you guys find any good idea to handle this, please help me out.

Regards,
--
- DongInn