[Sisuite-devel] option-140 to 145 dhcp parameters not standard:
LAHAYE Olivier
2013-03-20 15:54:19 UTC

I've discoverd that the options that systeimager is using in its dhcp config are not standard and can conflict
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xml

What should be done about this?
- Still use those wrong values
- Use values from the private range?
- Do an RFC to have our values registered? (I don't know how to do that and if it's free or not.

Any ideas?

Olivier.
--
Olivier LAHAYE
CEA DRT/LIST/DCSI/DIR
Brian Elliott Finley
2013-03-25 14:28:22 UTC
Hi Olivier,

I considered officially registering our values many years back, but
decided to simply use options in the unassigned ranges. The ones we're
currently using were unassigned at the time, but it seems they now have
other officially assigned uses -- thanks for calling this out Olivier.

I do think this indicates that we _need_ make a change.

If we can get these values registered, that would be ideal, as we would
not have to worry about this situation again. Can you find out what it
takes (if someone else already knows - please speak up)? If it's
reasonable effort, let's go for it. If it's onerous, then perhaps we
settle on using the private use range.

Once we've decided on "registered" or "Private Use", then we should
update the code to work with the new range, but be backwards compatible:

if( defined $NEW_OPTION_NUMBER ) {
then use it;
elsif( defined $OLD_OPTION_NUMBER ) {
use it for backwards compatibility;
}

si_mkdhcpserver should be modified to always implement the option
numbers, of course.

Cheers!

-Brian
Post by LAHAYE Olivier
Hi,
I've discoverd that the options that systeimager is using in its dhcp config are not standard and can conflict
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xml
What should be done about this?
- Still use those wrong values
- Use values from the private range?
- Do an RFC to have our values registered? (I don't know how to do that and if it's free or not.
Any ideas?
Olivier.
--
Olivier LAHAYE